Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Wild Wednesday

Oh the antics of the Norris Wing...is it a full moon?? I know I'm in a psych ward, but I've been used to patients with depression, or ones that keep to themselves - throw in a few "crazies" and now it's like a nut house. If in fact I do have bi polar, I definitely don't have it to the same extreme as those do in here. We have at least three people that are manic right now and it's a lot to handle, let me tell you. Yesterday this one guy, 19,slammed his head against the wall then proceeded to pace the halls saying "Holy F**K" over and over and over again. This is the same guy who came into the library (where I hide out on the computer) and forced me to take my glasses off and look at the sun for 5 mins straight(because this WOULD cure my depression..). He also told me he's criminally insane and killed someone before- makes me feel real secure.

Then there was another lady..I'll call her Jane. She was room mates with one of my friends on the floor,and she got naked the one night and sat on my friend's bedside until she woke up and saw her (yikes). Needless to say that lady is in her own private room now. We also had another lady who overdosed on Tylenol twice in one week...then they let her go to the store"to buy smokes"and she just bought more Tylenol and ended up in ICU for a few days. Three overdoses in a week. So sad.

Now on to the craziest one of them all - me! Jk. I am doing well today - I had a nice visit with Adelyn and my mom this morning. I actually felt like I ENJOYED it, which is a huge thing for me. I was with her for an hour and a half and that was perfect. I'm feeling like I could do longer, but Dr.Asti said, when I have that feeling, that I need to stay at the same level a little while longer, so I don't push myself and crash...which I have long history of doing. So I think she has good plan.

I started the lithium last night, and so far no side effects that I can notice,which is a great sign. I expect that somewhere around the end of the weekend/early next week I will notice if it is making any difference (fingers crossed!).I have read a lot now about the effects of lithium on treatment-resistant depression and it's all very positive.

So, plans for the rest of the day...I have a meeting with my FACS worker this afternoon (yay), then I have to write a psychology exam tonight at Niagara College (Kris and I took the same online psych course), so wish me luck! I have NO concentration to study, so I'm basically just going in there on a prayer. I do have about 90% in the course though, so I'm not TOO worried.

Anyways, I will end this Wild Wednesday post here! Happy Hump Day everyone and blessings for the rest of your week.

Amanda

2 comments:

  1. AMANDA.....your humor in this post was great! I laughed 'out loud' literally! Haha! It makes me feel happy for you that you are finding humor! :) praying for you daily! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say the same thing as Rachel! I can't explain how good I felt as I was repeatedly catching myself smiling from ear to ear as I was reading your post. So glad to hear that there are no side effects yet from the lithium. :)
    God is good!
    Love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete