Saturday, October 1, 2011

Thankful for the Unthinkable

I'm feeling very thankful today...I've been thinking a lot about what has come from this experience, and although it has been horrible, I have received a lot of blessings as well. I thought I would use this post to show that good things can come from hopeless situations.

A stronger marriage - I am thankful for Greg and the way he has supported me through everything. If we can get through this, and 6 months of separation due to hospitalizations, we can get through anything. I love him more than anything, and if it weren't for him, I wouldn't be here.

A great support system - I have SO many people that have rallied around me to support me through this illness. My in-laws have been amazing, letting us stay there for a few months when we needed it. My sister has been a wonderful support, as well as the rest of my family. I am also fortunate to have great services in place, like IMPACT, Community Mental Health, Public Health, and (believe it or not) FACS. All these services have allowed me to stay in my own home, and work on practical problems.

Chelsea (and now her sister) - this has allowed me to get my life back. Having the resources to pay for a nanny was a humongous blessing, and it was worth every penny. Without having a live in caregiver, I would not have been able to function at home. I am thankful everyday that we found such a wonderful person to live with us, and I look forward to having her sister stay with us now.

My house cleaner- again, having the resources to pay for a house cleaner has been amazing for my recovery. I no longer have to guilt myself about not keeping the house spotless - this guilt was wearing away at me every day. Now I have peace of mind knowing that it will be cleaned thoroughly every other week, and that I just have to maintain during the rest of the time.

Dr. Asti - my doctor is extremely involved in my care, and really , truly, does care about my recovery. A good doctor like that is hard to find (VERY hard to find actually). I am fortunate to get to see her every week, and to have someone available when I need them (most of the time). I count my lucky starts almost daily because I have Dr. Asti.

The opportunity to raise awareness of PPD - I think this is the biggest benefit of my entire experience. Getting to teach others about the risks and dangers of this illness has brought me so much satisfaction; something I haven't gotten with anything else before. I continue to speak to pre-natal classes, as well as infant massage classes. I hope to expand my target audience by finding more avenues to speak, as I really really enjoy it. If anyone out there knows of an audience that would benefit from some information on PPD, please tell me and I would be happy to volunteer my time to come and share my experience.

Well, that is all I can think of right now(this is good that I can even think positively at all!). I know there are other benefits to my situation, but, when I think of them, I will put those in another post :)I don't even know why I was thinking about my blessings today...I guess the Wellbutrin is doing something inside that brain of mine! I'd like to think that all of this wasn't in vain, but rather a stepping stone to something else, a higher purpose perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment