Friday, August 19, 2011

What Makes Me a Better Mom

I had a really good day yesterday. I rated it as an 8.5 - my highest rating since this whole thing started. Today, I'm reflecting on what made me a better mom yesterday,and so far is working for me today. Granted it's only one day (and a bit), but it has been such a high for me that I feel like it's worth talking about.

Yesterday was my first day on Concerta (ritalin). I took it at 8am and by 9am was feeling some effects (yes, this is possible, and how it's supposed to work). I felt a little buzzed, like I had had too much coffee (I had only had one cup...my usual). I had more energy and felt like interacting more with Adelyn. I felt a little "spun" but it wasn't overly unpleasant. I welcomed the change from not wanting to do anything at all. Then I drank another cup of coffee...maybe not such a great decision only because it may have masked the effects of the Concerta a little.

Another change I made yesterday that I think made a huge difference was that I have my laptop back (Chelsea had it previously), and I put it upstairs where I could check in on Facebook, etc. during the day. Seems like not a big deal but this means two things- 1. that I'm not sitting in the basement all day and 2. Adelyn doesn't watch TV all day and I don't feel guilty. Sitting upstairs was such a boost for me mentally that I was shocked at how much of a difference it made. As I type I am sitting upstairs on my couch watching Adelyn play with her blocks. It's amazing.

So there are the two things that are making me a better mom today - Concerta and a laptop. Who knew? Some times it can be the simplest things that make the biggest difference.

Now, I still have things that I have to work on, specifically getting out of the house. I now have the energy to get out, but my motivation is still a little low. When Adelyn is happy playing inside I wonder what the point of leaving is? I enjoy staying at home with her but I know that she needs to get out for her own sake. Maybe I will venture out to the park today (now that she's walking it might be more fun).

Thanks again to everyone for following my journey, it means a lot to me. Thanks for celebrating the highs and for supporting me in the lows.

No comments:

Post a Comment