Friday, January 6, 2012

Fully Embracing my BPD

It is a diagnosis that I have been fighting against ever since this entire episode started. Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). Seriously? How could I have such an extreme disorder? There is no way I could EVER have this...I was never abused as a child. This is why I thought it just couldn't be true - I thought without abuse, BPD couldn't exist. It wasn't until TODAY that I finally said to myself...this is me. This entire diagnosis is ME.

So what is BPD? The DSM IV defines it as the following...

Diagnostic Criteria for Borderline Personality Disorder

A pervasive pattern of instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image, and affects, and marked impulsivity beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

(1) frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment. Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5.

(2) a pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation.
*I know some of my friends know exactly what this means. My relationships can be stormy to say the least.

(3) identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image of sense of self
*I'm constantly changing career plans, constantly trying to find some sense of self worth

(4) impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating). Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5.
*Without going into detail, I was extremely reckless as a teenager - behaviours that indicated right then and there that something was clearly wrong.
(5) recurrent suicidal behaviors, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior
*I started "cutting" in highschool, and this has followed me up until my most recent hospitalizations

(6) affective instability = due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)
*I have extreme periods of anxiety that are pretty much disabling - I can also be totally and fully excited about something at the exact same time.

(7) chronic feelings of emptiness
*I never know where I stand.

(8) inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights)
* This doesn't really describe me.

(9) transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms
*Wanting to give Adelyn up for adoption; thoughts that I wanted to hurt Adelyn

As if this wasn't enough, I found this definition of a "low functioning" borderline. And I thought I was "high functioning"...

Indicators of Low Functioning BPD

Cutting CHECK


Hospitalization CHECK


Improvement of Symptoms with Age NOT SURE YET


Inability to Control Behaviors in Public CHECK


Acknowledgement by Friends and Neighbors that there is a Significant Problem CHECK


They More Often Accept the Diagnosis of BPD MORE CURRENTLY


Are More Often in Individual Therapy for their OWN Problems CHECK


More Often Abusive to Strangers or Friends in Public"ABUSIVE" AS IN NASTY, THEN CHECK


Often are Homemakers or Have Some Difficulty in Maintaining a Career Even With a Good Education CHECK


Can’t "Keep it Together" in all Situations CHECK


It's like looking in a mirror. I know I didn't go into too much detail, but I have had a very stormy life characterized by periods of extreme instability, most markedly this recent depression. I don't really know what to think of this...how am I going to be labelled now? Are people going to be afraid of me? Will I lose respect?

Although I am very upfront about my depression, my BPD is something that I'm trying to keep between close friends (and private blog readers). I will not be posting anything other than blog titles on FB. I feel that this is something that needs to be addressed in private, for the sake of my family and friends. If you're reading this, I would ask that you wouldn't discuss it with anyone outside of my blog circle. Your discretion is appreciated.

So where do I go from here? Well, there are no meds for BPD. Only meds for the symptoms of BPD, such as the depression. I will continue on my myriad of meds for the depression, and will have to do a lot of self-discovery to address my BPD. I have enrolled in a support group that should be starting at the end of January. I hope that this group will allow me to see myself in other people, and to know that I'm not alone. I hope that I will discover things in my past that may have contributed to this. I hope that it will give me HOPE for the future, and a feeling that this might actually me manageable and that I don't have to continue living the way I'm living. A tall order, but I think it is achievable.

2 comments:

  1. I know it must be hard to accept, but with this diagnosis, perhaps this support group will give you some perspective and comfort. I hope this only helps in your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I have such a problem with the DSM, and with the diagnosis of "personality disorders". Specifically, with BPD there is such an unfair stigma that is attached to the diagnosis. Please do not let this diagnosis define you as a person - it does not take any of your strengths and qualities in to account.

    I'm glad to hear that you are joining a support group - I definitely think it will be helpful for you.

    As always, please do not hesitate to send me a message if you want to talk :)

    Thinking of you,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete